Former Students

If you were previously enrolled as a student at Shoreline but are not enrolled in the current quarter, you are classified as a former student.

Getting Started

Returning to Shoreline after less than two years?

Returning to Shoreline after more than two years?


Update Your Information

We ask that all former students update their information prior to registering for classes.

Don't Miss our Messages to You

As a former student, you may have a college email account on file. That's where we'll be sending any official communications about your student status, account, important updates, and more.

To recover your account information visit our email page and click on "Look up my Shoreline username & password". If you do not have an email account on file, you will be sent instructions on how to create an account after your admission application has been processed.

Please Note: Students who attended Shoreline prior to 2013 - an email account will be generated for your when you register for classes.

Forgot your Student ID or PIN number?

If you do not remember your student ID or PIN numbers visit our SID/PIN page to find out how to look those up. (Your PIN is generally your 6 digit birth date (mm/dd/yy) unless you have changed it.)

When Can I Register for Classes?

Here Less Than a Year Ago:

Former students that have been away from the college for less than one year may register during continuing student registration based on the number of earned credits, or at any time thereafter during the open registration period. 

Here More Than a Year Ago:

Former students that have been away from the college for more than a year may register for the upcoming quarter immediately following continuing student registration, or at any time thereafter.