Shoreline Community College is able to offer students an excellent education for free through the Opportunity Grant, which is funded through the state of Washington. The goal of this program is to offer students training to enter the workforce as quickly as possible and to direct students to a career ladder that provides stability and self-sufficiency.
The Opportunity Grant is for students enrolled in Automotive, Accounting, Microsoft Software Applications Certificate, Clean Energy Technology and Entrepreneurship, Health Information & Informatics Management, Manufacturing, Nursing Assistant Certified, and Visual Communication Technology. These programs have short-term training available, often leading to living wage jobs in less than a year in fields that currently have a high number of vacancies.
Opportunity Grant can pay for up to 45 credits of tuition and up to $1,000 towards books and tools for eligible students. You may be eligible if you:
- Are a Washington State Resident, lived in WA for 1+ years
- In one of the following Professional Technical Programs: Accounting, Automotive, Microsoft Office Certificate, Clean Energy Technology & Entrepreneurship, Health Informatics and Information Management, Manufacturing, Nursing Assistant Certified, or Visual Communication Technology
- Student with no prior degree have priority funding. Students with Associates Degrees can be funded depending on available funds. Don't hesitate to reach out and ask.
- Are one of the following:
- Receiving Financial Aid (Pell Grants, Washington College Grant (Formerly State Need Grant))
- If you are receiving Financial Aid, Opportunity Grant will pay your tuition and your financial aid will go directly into your pocket
- Low-Income according the chart below:
|# of Persons in Household||2021 Federal Poverty Level for the 48 Contiguous States (Monthly Income)|
Add $378.33 for each person in household over 8 persons
If you completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and are waiting to be awarded, please still reach out.
Types of Assistance
Eligible students may receive:
- Tuition and fees for up to 45 credits
- $1,000 for books and/or tools
- Limited emergency assistance may be available