Basic Food Employment and Training (BFET) 

If you meet the eligibility requirements below, please contact Ted Johnson.

You will receive your next steps via email.

The BFET program provides assistance with training costs at Shoreline Community College to eligible individuals currently receiving DSHS Basic Food Assistance (Federal).


  • Currently receiving DSHS Basic Food Assistance* (Federal)
  • Not receiving DSHS TANF cash assistance (see WorkFirst program)
  • Enrolled in a Professional/Technical program, Transfer degree program, or in an ESL, ABE, or GED program
  • Must be a resident of the state of Washington as determined by the college
  • Must be physically and mentally able to work at least 20 hours per week or will be able to do so within the next one year

Types of Assistance

  • Tuition and fees
  • Textbooks and required class supplies
  • Transportation (bus pass or parking permit)
  • Testing fees
  • Priority registration for classes
  • Some students may qualify for childcare assistance from DSHS while enrolled as a student in the BFET program

If you are not currently receiving DSHS Basic Food Assistance (formerly known as food stamps) and would like to apply for these benefits, please visit the Washington Connection website. Eligibility for DSHS Basic Food Assistance generally follows the income guidelines listed below:

# of Persons in Household 2024 Federal Poverty Level for the 48 Contiguous States (Monthly Income)

Add $896 for each person in household over 8 persons

2 $3,407
3 $4,303
4 $5,200
5 $6,097
6 $6,993
7 $7,890
8 $8,787

Additional Information

BFET funding can only cover "unmet need." Students receiving grants and/or Work Study funds through Federal/State Financial Aid (FAFSA) will not receive funding through the BFET program if their financial need has been met. BFET students are required to apply for Federal/State Financial Aid prior to their second quarter in the BFET program. For more information on how to apply for Federal/State Financial Aid, please visit Shoreline Community College's Financial Aid Office in Room 5200.

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Funding provided by United States Department of Agriculture.

USDA is an equal opportunity employer provider and lender.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD3027) found online, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

Mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410

Fax: (202) 690-7442


This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Contact Us

Basic Food Employment and Training

FOSS (5000) Building, Room 5101
Ted Johnson
(206) 546-7843
See the College's operating hours