How to Apply to Running Start
- Fall 2021: September 22, 2021
- Winter 2022: January 3, 2022
- Spring 2022: March 28, 2022
Please complete these 6 simple steps PRIOR to the deadline.
1. Browse programs and services
- Review the Running Start program information.
- Browse Shoreline Community College's catalog and class schedule to find courses compatible with your high school schedule and requirements.
- Apply to Running Start
- In Section 2 of the application, put “RUNNING START” when answering Question #4.
- Please wait at least 3-5 business days for the College to process this application. Upon processing, you will receive an email from the College with your Student Identification Number (SID).
- Activate your Shoreline student email account.
3. Advising & Placement
- Email proof of placement into English 101 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proof of placement includes: 2.5 cumulative GPA or higher on high school transcript; Smarter Balanced English assessment score of 3 or 4; AP or IB, SAT or ACT scores; or placement from another WA college. There are additional measures to meet placement and prerequisites for English and Math.
- Within 2-3 business days, you will receive an email with instructions for the steps below.
- Complete Running Start Orientation online (this will be emailed to you).
- Complete the Running Start Enrollment Verification Form with your high school counselor listing your requested class(es) and alternates.
- This form must be completed every quarter and be signed by your parent/guardian and your counselor.
- To complete this form with a digital signature, it is best to use Adobe Acrobat. Download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
4. Find Funding
- Tuition is free up to the number of credits you are eligible. Students are responsible for the costs of college fees, textbooks, and transportation.
- Students receiving free/reduced lunch or in foster care are eligible for fee waivers and textbook assistance. Your High School Counselor should check the box at the top on the Enrollment Verification Form to verify your free/reduced lunch status. Contact the Running Start office for more information.
5. Register & Pay
- Sign up and attend a virtual Running Start Registration session (information about this session will be emailed to you).
- Have the following items ready: Enrollment Verification Form, Orientation Quiz (this will be emailed to you), Student & Parent Agreement Form, and, if applicable, the Authorization to Release Information Form.
- Pay for fees (if applicable) at the Cashier via phone or online.
6. Prepare to Succeed
- When campus reopens, arrange your transportation or obtain a parking permit.
- When campus reopens, get your free photo ID card.
- Order your textbooks. If you qualify for free/reduced lunch or are foster youth, contact email@example.com for book assistance.
- Complete an online training to learn how to use Canvas, Shoreline's course management system, to access your assignments and grades.