- Maturity is essential. In addition to academic readiness, students must have the discipline and responsibility to handle independence and the fast pace of college classes. Most classes cover the same amount of material in a 10-week quarter as one full year of high school. Running Start students do have access to resources like tutoring, learning centers, counseling, and disability services. Learn more about these learning support services.
- Students are responsible for the costs of college fees, textbooks, transportation, credits beyond what you are eligible for (i.e. beyond 15 credits) classes below college level and courses taken over the Summer quarter. Students who qualify for free/reduced lunch or in foster care are eligible for fee waivers and textbook assistance. Contact the Running Start office for more information.
- There is limited parental access. Only students have access to their college grades and records. Parents/guardians may have access to the student’s records if an Authorization to Release Information form is on file.
- You are building a permanent academic record. All grades and withdrawals students earn at Shoreline Community College are part of the student’s permanent college record and high school transcript. Running Start students are subject to the same academic policy as all other Shoreline students. Participation in Running Start may impact ones future financial aid as well. Basic eligibility for federal and state need-based aid is dependent on the student and family’s financial situation, not participation in Running Start. However, credits earned as a Running Start student will affect the length of time a student can continue to receive aid, the satisfactory academic progress evaluation, as well as the annual maximum award amounts for federal student loan programs if you are enrolled in a two-year associate degree program. Students with questions about the effect of Running Start on their student aid or scholarship packages should always check directly with the school’s admissions, financial aid, and scholarship offices.
- If students are experiencing any challenges with courses or have any questions, reach out to the Running Start office early!