Frequently Asked Questions
The Student Learning Center, or SLC, is the umbrella term for a group of learning centers, located on campus, that offer tutoring and other academic support services to Shoreline Community College students.
The Student Learning Center is generally open from 10:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday and 10:00 am – 4:00 pm on Friday, for in-person services. The SLC is closed on weekends and all federal holidays.
No. In addition to tutoring, the Student Learning Center offers spaces for SCC students to study. The study spaces are equipped with various learning resources, including textbooks, calculators, whiteboards, models, and, of course, tutors to assist your studies if needed.
We like to think of the SLC is an “intellectual space,” where students can kick-back, learn, and engage in academic pursuits in their free time.
Yes, tutoring is free for all Shoreline Community College students. Well technically, tutoring is already paid for through your tuition and student fees – so you might as well take advantage!
Tutoring is available for most STEM and writing-centered classes, based upon tutor availability. If you are unsure if the SLC offers tutoring for a particular subject, please feel free to contact at email@example.com.
You can also check to see if your subject is offered through WeTC’s eTutoring services, which are free of charge for all Shoreline students.
The best way to ensure you get a tutoring session is to make an appointment through Starfish. But you can also stop into one of the centers, located in the Library (4000 building) for an appointment, if a tutor is available.
Most of the time, yes. Tutor availability, however, may differ according to subject and time of day. If you wish to ensure you get a tutoring appointment, we recommend that you make an appointment through Starfish.
Yes! We encourage it! The study spaces are equipped with various learning resources, including textbooks, calculators, whiteboards, models, and, of course, tutors to assist your studies if needed. We like to think of the SLC is an “intellectual space,” where students can kick-back, learn, and engage in academic pursuits in their free time.
Making an appointment in Starfish is quick and easy. Simply follow these instructions.
- Log into Starfish.
- On the Success Network page, scroll down Your Services and click on the Student Learning Center tile.
- You will now see the Student Learning Center service profile. The Team Members section displays all tutors who can help with any of your current classes. If you don't see any tutors listed, there are no tutors available for the classes you are taking this term.
- To make an appointment, click on the tutor you want to work with.
- You will now see the tutor’s profile page. Click on the Schedule appointment button.
- On the What do you need help with? page, click Tutoring. From the options provided, select the reason you need to meet with a tutor. If none of the reasons are exactly right, choose the closest option. Click Continue in the bottom right corner.
- Choose the date and time that work best for you.
- On the appointment details page, review the information (date, time, location, and reason) that displays.
- If you plan to talk about a topic, skill, assignment, or test for one of your classes, click Add a course. Choose the course from the list that displays.
- In the comment box, add any additional information you want your tutor to know.
- Click Confirm.
If you do not have a Starfish account, you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about appointments or specific tutors. When logging into Starfish, make sure you are using your Shoreline Network Account username (your @go.shoreline.edu email address). You can also visit our Starfish Knowledgebase for troubleshooting. For additional help, contact TSS or stop by during office hours.