How to apply to Dental Hygiene
The Dental Hygiene program announces the reopening of the admission process for the incoming class of 2021-2023 in partnership with the University of Washington School of Dentistry.
Next application period: January 15 – February 15, 2021
- Graduates of the program earn an Associate of Applied Arts & Sciences Degree in Dental Hygiene from Shoreline Community College, taught in partnership with University of Washington School of Dentistry
- The program is accredited by the Commission for Dental Accreditation (CODA)
Questions about the application process?
Admission to the Dental Hygiene program includes going through an application process. The application period is open between January 15 and February 15, 2021. Interviews are schedule during Winter Quarter Finals week (March 22-24, 2021). Notice of acceptance will be sent out the first or second week of April. The Dental Hygiene faculty will work with all applicants to ensure that the process is clear.
To be eligible for selection consideration, applicants must complete all prerequisiteswith a 2.5 grade or higher.
Required science classes must have been taken within seven (7) years of application (virtual or online labs with science courses WILL be accepted.) Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate courses WILL NOT be accepted for transfer of prerequisites.
Selection is based on a point system. Points are gained from the prerequisite courses, work and educational experience, and interview.
50% - academics (grades of prerequisite courses)
20% - work and educational experience, if any
30% - interview
Dental Hygiene students must possess skills essential to performing dental hygiene functions as outlined in the Dental Hygiene application information (including but not limited to: abilities of visual acuity, speaking, motor skills, adaptive ability).
The selection process is reviewed each year.
Online applications are accepted once per year and must be submitted with all required records between January 15 through Februrary 15, 2021 to be considered for Fall Quarter 2021 entry.
Each applicant must meet all college admissions requirements as well as follow all College policies and procedures.
The following prerequisite course requirements have been established:
We encourage you to make an appointment with the Dental Hygiene department to assist you in managing your educational plan and readiness to apply.
Course numbers listed in the prerequisite checklist are course numbers offered at Shoreline Community College. Courses from other colleges which appear to be equivalent may be accepted with approval.
Prerequisite Course Equivalencies
For those students taking the prerequisite courses at another university or college located within Washington State, use the Dental Hygiene Course Equivalency Chart. The courses on this chart will substitute for the Shoreline Community College prerequisite courses.
If the course on the chart no longer exists, or you wish to substitute another course, complete and submit a Review of Course Equivalency Form, along with a copy of your transcripts (follow directions on the form). This is the only way to be 100% sure your course can be substituted for application to the Shoreline Dental Hygiene Program.
Results of evaluation of your courses for transfer will be sent to you via email within one week, but may take longer. Please plan accordingly.
Applicants must receive a minimum grade of a 2.5 in each prerequisite course (Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit grades will not be accepted). All prerequisite courses must be completed prior to entry into the Dental Hygiene program.
These courses must have been completed within seven (7) years of entrance into the program: CHEM&121, CHEM&131, BIOL&211, BIOL&241, BIOL&242, BIOL&260 and NUTR&101.
- If you are new to Shoreline Community College, your first step is to apply to the
College to receive a student ID number (SID) and PIN number using our online application
process.Apply to Shoreline Community College
- After filling out the general college application, then apply to the College’s Dental
Hygiene program. Once completed and submitted online with a $20.00 nonrefundable processing fee using a credit/debit card only, then proceed to the final step.
- As a final step, submit (through mail) the following additional materials by the application deadline (incomplete files will not be processed):
- Work Experience Verifications form(s) signed by supervisor
- Copy of official transcripts
Send all application materials to:
Shoreline Community College
Dental Hygiene Program
16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133
Please Note: Upon acceptance, you will receive notification and asked to submit the following required documents:
- Acceptance letter and submission of $175 acceptance fee (going toward American Dental Hygiene Association and Washington Dental Hygiene Association membership)
- Must pass a criminal history background check (www.castlebranch.com)
- Provide proof of vaccinations (required by start of the program in Fall quarter)
- Current Provider First Aid Card (Note: CPR/AED will be taught the second quarter in the dental hygiene program before treating patients)