About the program
The Shoreline Community College Post Baccalaureate Studies for the Health Professions (PBS) is a comprehensive program designed to support college graduates who intend to pursue careers in the health professions and need additional college courses to prepare for graduate-level professional schools.
Over 60 students enroll each quarter, preparing for medical school (MD or DO - our most popular option among students), as well as other professional programs such as dental, nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant, and more. Open to students seeking to change careers or enhance their academic record.
- Rigorous Advanced Coursework: Shoreline Community College science courses are recognized as equivalent to university courses, including intensive 400-level courses.
- Academic and Peer Support: Small group seminars provide critical skills to create a strong application, prepare for exams, and succeed in interviews.
- Personalized Advising: Get one-on-one support from dedicated advisors to help you successfully reach your goals.
- MCAT and GRE Preparation: Small group seminars to provide learning and test-taking strategies, access to resources, and support.
- World Renowned Location: Study in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with nearby access to Seattle and its top medical facilities and renowned research centers.
- Small Classes: Science courses are small in size and are taught by experienced instructors, who teach both the lecture and lab.
- Affordable Tuition: Typically, tuition at Shoreline costs only about one-third as much as the same classes at a four-year state school. Funding options for Post-Bacc students through FAFSA are limited to a Loan for Prerequisite Courses (one 12 consecutive month period). Students moving to Washington State can apply for residency tuition after 12 months of residency here.
For 2019 matriculation, 15 students applied and 12 were admitted.
Students were accepted at:
- Medical Doctor – University of Washington Seattle
- Medical Doctor – University of Washington Spokane
- Naturopathic Doctor – Bastyr University
- (Doctor of) Nurse Practitioner (includes RN) – Seattle University (two students)
- Nutrition MS – University of Washington
- Nutrition & Counseling Psychology MS & MA – Bastyr University
- Occupational Therapy – University of Puget Sound
- Occupational Therapy – University of Washington
- Pharmacy – University of Washington (two students)
- Physician Assistant - Idaho State University
Students who have not yet taken prerequisite courses for their chosen professional school, or who have some and need to take additional courses.
Students who need to enhance their course quality and GPA for entrance into professional schools or whose prerequisite courses are outdated.
- Already completed at least a Bachelor's degree
- Intent to pursue graduate-level professional schools, such as dental, medical, nutrition, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant, and more
- Open admission policy. Begin any quarter. No standardized exam scores (GRE, MCAT) are required.
- Students who are not a typical career changer or record enhancer are welcome. We work with each student to create an individualized plan.
How to Apply
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to get connected with an advisor and to review your transcripts and begin creating a plan. Include your undergraduate transcripts, any applicable test scores (optional), and graduate application statement (if available).
- Apply to Shoreline Community College.
- Complete the Entry Form. Your advisor will follow up with you.