GI Bill Chapters

You may be eligible for more than one educational benefit. If you are eligible, you must select which benefit to receive. You cannot receive payment for more than one benefit at a time. If you are eligible for more than one benefit, you should contact the VA to discuss your educational plans. Please note that any eligibility rules on this page are purely informational; Veteran and Military Student Services cannot determine eligibility for benefits, only the VA can.

Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill®

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. Your benefit will be based on your length of active duty service. Benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty; however, this limit is removed for Veterans who separated after January 1, 2013.

Some of the benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill will pay include:

  • Your full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA)
  • An annual books & supplies stipend


For more details about Chapter 33, view the Department of Veterans Affairs website. To apply, follow this link, or complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Educational Benefits.

Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill to Dependents (TEB)

The transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows Servicemembers to transfer unused benefits to their spouses or dependent children.

Details about the TEB program are available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website. To apply as a Servicemember, you must request through MilConnect.

Chapter 35 – Survivors’ and Dependents' Education Assistance (DEA)

This program provides education benefits to dependents (spouse or child) of Veterans or service members who meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • Permanently and totally disabled (100% VA rating) or deceased due to service-connected disability
  • Died while on active duty
  • POW/MIA or forcibly detained/interned in the line of duty by a foreign entity
  • Hospitalized/receiving outpatient treatment for service-connected permanent and total disability resulting in discharge

Chapter 35 pays a monthly stipend based on the training time and/or training program pursued by the student. You may receive up to a maximum of 36 months of benefits through this program. This program requires eligibility of both the Veteran/service member and the dependent.

For more details about Chapter 35 and additional eligibility information, please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website. To apply, follow this link or complete the VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for Education Benefits.


Chapter 30 - Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty

To qualify for Chapter 30 benefits, you must have entered active duty on or after July 1, 1985, and made contributions to the Montgomery Fund while on active duty. A monthly benefit is paid to students based on the training time and/or training program. You may receive up to a maximum of 36 months of benefits under the program. Veterans have 10 years from their discharge date to use the benefits.

If you are enrolled in Chapter 30, you have the option of exhausting your entitlement, then obtaining an additional 12 months through Chapter 33 for a total of 48 months of entitlement. To do this, contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551 to determine when your entitlement exhausts, the best time to apply for Chapter 33 benefits and how to determine your Chapter 33 benefits effective date. When you complete the VA Form 22-1990, state in the “Remarks” section that you wish for this benefit to be effective after your Chapter 30 benefits are exhausted.

For more details about Chapter 30, view the Department of Veterans Affairs website. To apply, follow this link, or complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Educational Benefits.

Chapter 31 – Veteran Readiness & Employment

This program is designed to help veterans with service-connected disabilities obtain and maintain gainful employment consistent with their interests, aptitudes, and abilities and can be supported through the current labor market.

Eligibility includes:

  • Veterans who have received, or will receive, a discharge that is "other than dishonorable"
  • Have a service-related disability rating of at least 10% or a memorandum rating of 20% or more from the Department of Veteran Affairs
  • Need for vocational rehabilitation due to disability and employment handicap


Facts about Chapter 31:

  • Entitlement to services is determined on an individual basis following an evaluation of the veteran’s unique interests, aptitudes, education, work experience, and vocational abilities
  • Vocational Rehabilitation must be provided for up to 48 months
  • An eligible veteran generally has 12 years from the date they are notified of entitlement to VA compensation in which to use these benefits
  • VA may approve an extension of time and/or length of training in certain cases
  • Entitlement to Chapter 31 does not guarantee approval of training or any desired training program
  • Chapter 31 does not have to approve Chapter 30 approved training facilities


The Department of Veterans Affairs website has detailed information available regarding the Vocational Rehabilitation & Employment Program. To apply, follow this link, or complete VA Form 28-1900, Application for Veteran Readiness and Employment for Claimants with Service-Connected Disabilities.

Chapter 32 - Veteran Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

The Post-Vietnam Veteran’s Educational Assistance Program provides education and training opportunities to eligible veterans and active duty personnel who contributed to the program while on active duty.

You may be eligible for education benefits if you entered active duty for the first time after December 31, 1976, and before July 1, 1985. While serving, you enrolled and contributed to VEAP and have at least 3 months of contributions available. Benefits end 10 years from the date of your last discharge or release from active duty.

Additional information regarding the Chapter 32 program is available through the VA website. To apply, follow this link, or complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Educational Benefits.

Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)

If you are a member of the Selected Reserves, you may be eligible for this program. The Selected Reserves includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard. You must have a six-year obligation to service in the Selected Reserves and have completed basic training.

Detailed information on the Chapter 1606 program is available through the VA website. To apply, follow this link, or complete VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Educational Benefits.

Military Career Advancement Accounts (MyCAA)

MyCAA is a Department of Defense sponsored benefit that allots up to $4000 to eligible military spouses in the pursuit of:

  • Licensure
  • Certificate
  • Certification
  • Associate’s Degree (except Liberal Arts & General Studies)


The goal of MyCAA is to aid military spouses in obtaining the training and education necessary for gainful employment in a portable career.

To be eligible:

  • Sponsor must be DoD active duty military (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines)
  • Activated National Guard or Reserve under Title 10 orders
  • Sponsor must have pay grade of:
  • E-1 through E-5
  • O-1 or O-2
  • W-1 or W-2
  • Spouses must be able to complete their coursework while his/her sponsor is on active duty orders


For more information on MyCAA, see


GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at