(Preparing for) Speech & Hearing Sciences

Program Description

The 90 credit Associate in Arts transfer degree is designed to meet the general education requirements at Washington State four-year institutions and prepares students for a Bachelor of Science degree in Speech and Hearing Sciences or Communication Disorders. A Master’s degree is considered an entry level requirement for employment, therefore most students enter graduate programs to practice in the field.

Speech and Hearing Sciences — What is it?

Speech and Hearing Sciences prepares students to work with patients who have speech, language or hearing disorders. Typically, speech pathologists treat clients with speech and language problems, while audiologists assess, diagnose and treat hearing loss and balance disorders. In both professions, early detection and prevention screening are important for the treatment and remediation of communication disorders.

Contact Us
Faculty and Advising

Guy Hamilton
Room 2809

Kira Wennstrom
Room 2816

Joyce Fagel
Room 2814

Monday - Thursday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Areas of Study in Speech and Language Sciences:

Phonetics, Audiometry, Speech Anatomy and Physiology, Neuroanatomy, Language Development, Language and Literacy, Motor Speech Disorders, Hearing Disorders, Aural Rehabilitation, Dysphasia, Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Disorders, Assessment and Diagnostics, Bilingual and Cultural Issues, Research Methods and Professional Ethics.


Career Opportunities — What can I do with a Graduate Degree in Speech Pathology?

The field of Communication Disorders requires graduate study, certification and licensure to practice. Speech Pathologists and Audiologists develop strong communication, critical thinking, problem solving and technical skills to identify, evaluate, manage and treat people with communication disorders. While most Speech Pathologists and Audiologists work in public schools, others teach, conduct research and serve as consultants to government and industry.

Potential employers include:

Public and Private Schools, Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Rehabilitation Centers, Government Agencies, Private Practice, Business and Industry. For more, please visit Career Counseling.


Transfer Possibilities — Where can I transfer?

An Associate Degree from Shoreline  makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities throughout the U.S. with junior standing. Shoreline also has agreements with several universities to make transferring even ea sier. For transfer within Washington State, we offer a special degree called the  AA-DTA . For international students, Shoreline also has  conditional admission agreements  that allow a student to be simultaneously accepted by Shoreline and a university of the student's choosing.

Length of Program: 90 Credits Completion Award: A.A. Degree