Nancy Felke

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

—George Eliot

As the advisor for Adult Basic Education, GED, and HS21+, I can help you get started in classes to improve your basic skills. I will also help you understand and navigate the college system to get the information and resources you need to have a successful learning experience at Shoreline Community College.

What is the difference between ABE, GED, and HS21+ classes?

The ABE, GED, and HS21+ classes are clustered together which means that students may be following different pathways but are learning skills in the  same classes to move them toward their goals. 

ABE = Adult Basic Education

Students in ABE want to improve their basic skills in reading, writing, and math to prepare them for college, employment, or personal growth.  ABE students may also be here to improve their scores on the college placement tests.

Nancy Felke, M.Ed.
ABE, GED, and HS21+ Advisor
Phone 206-546-4531
Fax 206-533-6636
Office FOSS building, Room 5209
Drop-in Hours

I am in the office Monday-Thursday. You may contact me to set up an appointment or come in during my drop-in hours.

Mon - Thurs

10 a.m. - 11 a.m.
2 p.m. - 3 p.m.

GED = General Education Development

To earn a GED certificate, students must pass a series of four online exams to prove that they have high-school level academic skills.  Students in GED classes prepare for these exams in the subject areas of:

  • Reasoning through Language Arts
  • Math
  • Science
  • Social Studies

HS21+ = High School 21+ diploma

Students ages 21 and above are in the ABE/GED classes to earn credit needed to complete their high school diploma.   Students who wish to pursue this option must provide their high school transcript for evaluation to determine what they need to complete HS21+.  Prior work and life experiences may also be considered for credit toward earning the diploma.  All students must also show competency in English and Math to be awarded their HS21+ diploma.

Resource Links

Workforce Education

Financial Aid

Career Investigation

Counseling/Community Resources


How to enroll

To enroll in any of these pathways, you must attend an orientation/enrollment session where you will be given an overview of the options, choose your preferred class times, as well as take the CASAS  assessment in reading and math to determine your current skill levels.