(Preparing for) Dentistry

Program Description

The Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) degree is designed to prepare students for entrance into a bachelor degree program in the sciences. The primary focus of the AS-T degree is completion of the necessary math and science requirements for junior standing at Washington state baccalaureate institutions. Students are required to take additional general education courses after transfer to fulfill university requirements. In addition, specific courses are designated within the AS-T degree to prepare students for Dentistry Schools. While a bachelor’s degree is not required for admission into Dentistry programs, most applicants have a B.A. or B.S. degree.

Dentistry — What is it?

Dentistry is a branch of medicine involving all aspects of the oral health care. Dentists are trained to evaluate, diagnose, treat and prevent diseases and conditions of the teeth, gums and surrounding tissues.

Areas of study in Dentistry:

Basic health sciences, dental anatomy, epidemiology of oral diseases, diagnosis and treatment of dental conditions and diseases, dental pharmacology, surgical procedures, orthodontics, dental restoration, dental hygiene, public health, professional ethics, clinical practice and management.

Length of Program:

Completion Award: A.S.-T Degree

Contact Us
Faculty and  Advising
Shoreline Community College
16101 Greenwood Avenue N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696
 Linda Kuehnert
Room 2821
Phone 206-546-4575
 Dave Phippen
Room 2822
Phone 206-546-4572
 Amar Yahiaoui
Room 2820
Phone 206-546-4738
 Joyce Fagel
Room 2814
Phone 206-546-6984
Mon - Thurs 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Career Opportunities — What can I do with a Graduate Degree in Dentistry?

Dentists develop skills to administer anesthetics, prescribe medicine, fill cavities, examine x-rays, extract teeth, straighten teeth and treat gum disease. While most dentists are general practitioners working in private practices, other dentists specialize in orthodontics, oral surgery, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics and public health. Dentists must be licensed by a state in order to practice.

Potential employers include:

Private Dental Practice, Hospitals, Health Care Clinics, Military Service and other Government Agencies, Colleges and Universities. For more, please visit Career Counseling. 

Transfer Possibilities — Where can I transfer?

The AS-T makes it possible for students to transfer to a number of public and private colleges and universities, however Washington State has only one Dentistry School at the University of Washington. An Associate Degree from Shoreline  makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities throughout the U.S. with junior standing. Shoreline also has agreements with several universities to make transferring even easier. For transfer within Washington State, we offer a special degree called the AA-DTA. For international students, Shoreline also has conditional admission agreements that allow a student to be simultaneously accepted by Shoreline and a university of the student's choosing.