Steps to Take
- Apply for admission
- Apply for VA Benefits
- Apply for Financial Aid
- Request transcripts
- Attend orientation session
- Meet with academic advisor
- Register for classes
- Set up email account
- Buy a parking permit
- Buy books
- Get student ID
- Find your classes!
*other times available by appointment
Office of Special Services
FOSS Building, Rm 5226
16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133
Shoreline Community College has a long history of educating veterans, active duty military, and military dependent students. We are honored to continue this valuable tradition as a new generation serves and returns to higher education. We are committed to ensuring your academic success and value your addition to the Shoreline Community College campus.
Are you a Veteran or Dependent seeking to use VA Education Benefits?
Getting started is a multi-step process at Shoreline. As a student veteran, you have multiple applications to complete. These can be done concurrently. You are advised to start your financial aid application as early as possible due to lengthy processing times.
» Be sure to mark Veteran on your application
» The application takes 3-5 days to process. Once processed, you will receive an email containing your Student ID number.
- Schedule a COMPASS placement test to determine appropriate Math & English courses.
- Review the Department of Veterans Affairs website to learn about VA education benefits.
- Complete your online benefits application at VONAPP, the Veterans Online Application website or submit a paper application on Form 22-1990 by mail to the VA Regional Processing Office.
- It typically takes 4-6 weeks to receive your Certificate of Eligibility.
- For assistance completing your application, call 1-888-GIBILL1 (442-4551) to speak with an Education Case Manager.
Note: Applying for Financial Aid does not guarantee any award nor does it necessarily mean that you are taking on Student Loans. There are grants and other sources of funding that may be available to you. Financial Aid is meant to be used in conjunction with your GI Bill.
- Visit the Financial Aid homepage to see important dates/deadlines and other information.
- Follow these steps to Apply for Financial Aid.
- Have all official transcripts (military and college) sent to Shoreline Community College, Enrollment Services, 16101 Greenwood Ave. N, Shoreline, WA 98133.
- Your military transcript can be ordered from Joint Services Transcript.
- If you are completing a Transfer Degree, submit a Transfer Degree Request for Evaluation. Mark “Send to Veterans Programs”.
- Plan to bring all unofficial transcripts to Veterans Orientation and any subsequent advising appointments.
- Call 206-546-4545 to register for a Student Veterans orientation session. Orientation sessions are held every Wednesday from 10-11:30 a.m.
- Note: Student Veterans attend a veteran-specific orientation and are not required to attend the college-wide orientation.
- Bring all required documentation to orientation:
» DD 214 Certificate of Release from Active Duty or a Military I.D.
» Certificate of Eligibility from the VA
» Official or unofficial college and/or military transcripts
- Following orientation, meet with Rosemary Whiteside, Academic Advisor, for advising.
- In your initial advising session, you will discuss your education & career goals and complete a planning sheet to guide you in registering for your classes. Rosemary will sign the Veterans Academic Plan for you.
- Once you have determined your intended area of study, you will be referred to a Faculty Advisor for advising in subsequent quarters.
Pay your Tuition & Fees:
- For students with Chapter 33 Post-9/11, Chapter 31 Vocational Rehab, Tuition Assistance, or MyCAA benefits, the VA pays the college directly for your tuition & fees.
- For all other Chapter benefits, payment for tuition & fees is due within 5 business days following registration of the first day of the quarter, whichever comes first.
Items you must turn in to the Veterans Program Office are:
» A copy of your class schedule (EVERY quarter)
» A Student Responsibility Form (one time only or if you change your degree plan or VA Benefit Chapter)
» A SIGNED Veterans Academic Plan (one time only or if you change your degree plan)
**Failure to submit these items will result in you being dropped from your classes for NON PAYMENT.
**You cannot be certified for your benefits until you have turned in the required documents listed above.
All communication from Shoreline is sent via your Shoreline email account.
Buy your quarterly parking permit or bus pass at the Cashier’s Office, FOSS (5000) Building or at the bookstore (parking passes only).
Buy books in the bookstore or online.
Get your free student photo ID at the Library. Bring proof of tuition payment or Tuition Deferment and a legal photo ID with you.
Find your way around campus using the map in the class schedule or online or by downloading the free MySCC app.