Placement and Prerequisites

What is placement?

Placement is a process of assessing your knowledge and abilities to ensure you are successful in Shoreline classes. This assessment can be done in many ways, including reviewing your past course work, relying on a previous exam score, or taking a placement exam.

What are prerequisites?

If a course has "prerequisites," then you need to meet certain requirements to register for that course. You can meet prerequisites by completing courses either here or at Shoreline, or through placement. For a limited set of classes, you will not be able to register until you have met prerequisites.  Note that prerequisites need not be completed at Shoreline;  courses completed at another college may also be accepted.

Where do I start?

There are many ways to identify your appropriate placement into Shoreline courses.  If more than one option applies to you, then use the one you think is most accurate.  If you have questions, please contact the relevant department or an advisor for more information.

Already have credits from another college?

If you have credits from a Washington State Community or Technical College, you can use course equivalencies for placement and to meet prerequisites.

If you went to another college, you can use your transcript for placement and to meet prerequisites.

Already taken a placement exam at Shoreline or another college?

Compass and ASSET tests are no longer available, but scores from Shoreline or any college can be used for placement up to two years after the test date.

Accuplacer tests are available through the Shoreline testing center. In addition, Accuplacer scores from any other college can be used for placement up to two years from the test date.

If you have evidence of placement from any Washington State Community or Technical College from the last two years, you can be placed into the equivalent course at Shoreline. Contact or the relevant department or more information.

Taken an AP, IB, SAT, ACT, or GED exam?

Scores on your Advanced Placement (AP) or International Baccalaureate (IB) tests may be used to fulfill prerequisites or as college credit towards your degree.

Shoreline can accept SAT or ACT scores as placement into college-level English and/or math.

If you took the GED within the last two years, you can use your scores for placement.

Are you an International Student on an F-1 visa?

You have several options for demonstrating English Proficiency . Note that the Accuplacer English test is currently not available for international students.

There are several options for math placement (see Placement and Prerequisites) including Accuplacer for math.

You can also receive placement and/or credit for other subjects based on Advanced Placement (AP) scores.

Currently in high school or graduated in the last two years?

If you took a Smarter Balanced Assessment, you may be able to use the scores to determine readiness for English and Math.

If you are attending or graduated from a high school in the Shoreline or Edmonds School Districts, you may be able to use your high school transcripts to determine placement in math and/or English.

Need a placement assessment or test?

Directed Self-Placement (DSP) assessment for English, ALEKS assessment for Math, and Accuplacer tests for English and math are available through Shoreline's Assessment and Testing Center.

Schedule your AssessmenT

Need another option?

There are many other options for placement if you have evidence of your abilities. Contact the relevant department or an advisor for more information.

Not placed into the right math class?  Want to brush-up on arithmetic, pre-algebra, and/or algebra topics you have forgotten, but you don’t want to take a five-credit course?  Then the two-credit MATH 007 course might just be the class for you. 

learn more