HB 1079 — Undocumented Residents

Lea la página en español


Shoreline Community College's mission includes serving the "educational, workforce and cultural needs of our diverse community." To that end, undocumented students who meet the criteria established by House Bill 1079 qualify for resident tuition rates.

House Bill 1079 (HB 1079)

HB 1079 allows eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at Washington state colleges and universities. It is legislative bill that was signed into law May 7, 2003, by then-Gov. Gary Locke.

Eligibilty for HB 1079

Undocumented students can pay in-state tuition rates if they meet the following criteria:

  • Lived in Washington State for three years before receiving a high school diploma and completed the full senior year a Washington State high school.


  • Lived in Washington State after receiving the high school diploma or its equivalent and continuously resided in Washington State since receiving its high school diploma or its equivalent.

Academic Advising
Aura Rios Erickson

Center for Equity & Engagement
Jamie Ardéna

Claiming residency under HB 1079

Complete and submit the Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit along with an application for admission.

Admission application tips for students who qualify for HB 1079

  •  If the applicant does not have a social security number, enter all zeros 000-00-0000.
  • List the US as the country of permanent residence.
  • Write ‘HB 1079” in the “other” box
  • Submit the application and Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit to Enrollment Services.

Financial assistance

In 2014, the state's financial aid law was amended so HB 1079 students are eligible to be considered for need-based state aid (State Need Grant) if they are attending public colleges in Washington. For information about eligibility and the State Need Grant application process please visit Undocumented students may qualify for any scholarship that does not require U.S. citizenship.

The Shoreline Community College Foundation offers a large number of scholarships and other financial asistance, inlcuding:

  • High School Academic Scholarship
  • Full-time Continuing Student Scholarship
  • Part-time Continuing Student Scholarship
  • VIVA Hispanic Foundation Scholarship

Other sources of scholarship information: