General Service Technician
The General Service Technician (GST) program is a three-quarter job training program designed primarily for students interested in introductory automotive training. This program includes integrated basic education skills training (I-BEST) and is team-taught by an automotive instructor and a basic education skills instructor. English as a Second Language students or students who desire further basic skills development are encouraged to apply. For the third quarter internship, students find jobs in dealerships, independent auto repair shops, or other automotive businesses. Students earn a Certificate of Proficiency upon graduation.
The average Automotive Technician salary for the region ranges from $50,000 to $52,000, depending on location and the individual's production abilities. For employment outlook, see the U.S. Dept. of Labor's Occupational Outlook Handbook.
|Approximate Quarterly Costs|
|Tuition||Check current Tuition Table|
|Books (total cost for program)||$200|
Students who successfully complete this program will be able to:
- Understand and identify basic auto shop and personal safety parameters at auto repair facilities.
- Perform basic automotive diagnosis and repair, and use the associated tools.
- Identify and interpret suspension and steering concerns, and determine automotive correction.
- Inspect/diagnose and replace most brake components.
- Diagnose fluid usage, level, leaks, and condition.
- Identify, inspect, and test heating and air conditioning systems.
- Diagnose and evaluate electronic systems and electrical features.
- Understand work readiness behavior and skills.
- General Service Technician I-BEST Certificate of Proficiency
- Automotive Service Technician (AST) AAAS Degree Program Planning Guide
Gainful Employment Data
CASAS test score of 220; ESL Level 5 or higher; instructor interview; permission to register; valid driver's license; proof of insurability; some employers require drug testing.
|Program Requirements||Potential Employers|
AUTOT 121 General Service Tech I (18 Cr)
AUTOT 122 General Service Tech II (18 Cr)
AUTOT 190 GST Internship (9 Cr)
|Total credits: 45|