Types of Financial Aid

Federal and State grants, loans and work study are awarded through the process of applying for financial aid.  Start the application process by submitting a FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov (Federal School Code for Shoreline is 003791).

Federal Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant (PELL)
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

These grants are need-based aid from the federal government.  PELL and SEOG grants do not need to be repaid as long as students complete their courses and make satisfactory academic progress.   Eligibility is determined by the FAFSA application.  Students who have earned a bachelor's degree are no longer eligible for PELL or SEOG grants.  Effective July 1, 2012, the amount of Federal PELL grant funds a student may receive over his or her lifetime is limited to the equivalent of six years of PELL grant funding or 600%.

Washington State Grant Aid - Washington Opportunity Pathways

  • Washington State Need Grant (SNG)
  • College Bound Scholarship (COLLBND)
  • Passport to College (PASSPORT)

These are need-based aid programs which are administered by the Washington Student Achievement Council for the State of Washington.  Students must by Washington residents with financial need.  Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office after students have completed their FAFSA/WASFA application.  These grants do not have to be repaid, as long as students complete their courses and meet satisfactory academic progress requirements.

Institutional Aid Programs

  • Shoreline Grant (SCC Grant)
  • Shoreline Tuition Waiver (WAIVER)

These grants are only available to Washington residents with documented financial need.  Funds are limited and students should apply early to receive consideration for this aid.  Eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office after students have completed their FAFSA.  Shoreline Tuition Waivers will pay tuition, but not fees.  Fees will need to be paid by other funds awarded or by the student.

Work Study

  • Work Study Offer (EW)
  • State Work Study (SWS)
  • Federal Work Study (FWS)

The work study program (Federal and State) gives students the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while earning money for college.  Both on-campus and off-campus positions are available.  Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits each quarter.  Work study funds are earned by the student throughout the quarter, so the money is not available at the beginning of the quarter for paying tuition and fees.  Available positions are posted on the bulletin board outside of the Financial Aid Office.  Work study eligibility is determined by the Financial Aid Office after students have completed the financial aid application process.

For more information, contact the work study coordinator at (206) 546-4761.


Scholarships provide you with funds for tuition, book or living expenses without having to pay the money back.  Every scholarship has its own set of criteria that you must meet in order to be eligible.  Some are based on financial need, some on merit- meaning excellence in academics, arts, athletics or other specific abilities.  Applying for scholarships is separate from applying for federal and state financial aid. Deadlines vary for each scholarship, so you can find scholarships to apply for year-round.  However, the majority of scholarships are designed to provide funding for students starting classes in the fall, so many deadlines are in spring or earlier.  In general, you should start looking for scholarships six to nine months before you will need the funding.

The first place students should look for scholarships should be the SCC Foundation Scholarship page.  The Foundation offers a variety of merit and need-based scholarships to students at Shoreline Community College.  The annual Foundation Scholarship Application opens February 1st each year.  The Foundation has also introduced a new scholarship for international students in F-1 (student visa) status who have attended high school overseas.  Quarterly scholarships are also offered by the Foundation for Shoreline CC students whenever funds are available.  You can apply online or contact the Foundation Office by sending an email to:  scholarships@shoreline.edu for a paper application.

Another valuable search engine for Washington students is: https://thewashboard.org/login.aspx.

Student Loans

  • Federal Direct Loan - Subsidized (LOAN-SUB)
  • Federal Direct Loan - Unsubsidized (LOAN-UNSUB)
  • Parent Plus Loan
  • Nursing Loan
  • Alternative (Private) Educational Loan

Direct Student Loans require a separate loan request form available at: https://www.shoreline.edu/apply-and-aid/financial-aid/forms In addition, first time student loan borrowers must complete Loan Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) online at https://studentloans.gov  There are two types of Direct Student Loans:

  • Direct Subsidized Loan: Loans offered to eligible students with demonstrated financial need and taking at least 6 credits per quarter in an eligible degree/certificate program at Shoreline Community College.  The Department of Education will pay the interest on the loan while the student is enrolled at least half-time (6 or more credits), during grace period, and during deferment period.  First time borrowers after July 1, 2013 must complete their program within 150% of their published program length or they could lose their interest subsidy.  More information can be found at https://studentloans.gov
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loan:  Loans offered to eligible students but demonstrated need is not required.  Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in an eligible degree/certificate program at Shoreline Community College. The student will be responsible for paying the interest on the loan starting at the time of disbursement and during all periods.

Parent PLUS Loans: Parent Plus Loans are loans which parents can take out for their undergraduate children attending college.  Parents must complete the Parent PLUS Loan Request form located on the Shoreline website and in the Financial Aid Office.  Parents may borrow up to the amount of the dependent student’s cost of attendance, minus any other financial aid.  Parents must have approved credit to participate (dependent students, whose parents apply and are rejected on the basis of credit, may borrow additional unsubsidized funds.  Parents must also complete an online PLUS Loan Master Promissory note at http://studentloans.gov

Nursing Loans: Nursing Loans are available for students who are accepted into the Shoreline Nursing Program and are funded through the Department of Health.  Students must complete a Nursing Loan Request Form and complete all the steps in the financial aid application process.  Nursing Loans are a need-based loan, and if eligible can receive up to $3300.00 per academic year.  Nursing Loans are only offered for fall, winter and spring quarters.

Alternative (Private) Educational Loans: Students with extraordinary program costs or costs of attendance may wish to apply for alternative private loan funding.  Unlike Federal Direct Loans, these loans are based on credit history, credit rating and income requirements and not all students may qualify. 

Shoreline Community College does not endorse any lender.  Students are encouraged to research loans before making a final decision on what type of alternative loan is best for them.  Loans may be used for tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation and personal expenses.  Private loan checks are disbursed to the student as paper checks and funds do not directly pay school tuition and fees.

The Department of Education, in accordance with the Truth in Lending Act, mandates that colleges are only allowed to certify loans up to the cost of attendance/cost of education as determined each year by the Washington Financial Aid Association.  All financial aid awards, including loans, affect a student’s budget.