Summer Operating Hours July 10 – Sept 1

Mon-Thurs 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m.–noon

Transfer Students - Questions and Answers

What is the Direct Transfer Agreement?

The Associate in Arts (AA) - is a Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) transfer degree that is accepted by all of the Washington public and most of the private universities.  The DTA degrees are recognized as fulfilling most, if not all, of the general education requirements.  If a student transfers with the DTA associate degree completed, he or she will be admitted with junior standing.


Be sure to check with the Admissions Office at your intended university for further details regarding any additional general education and major prerequisites.


Do any Shoreline Community College degrees transfer directly to a 4-year school?

Yes. For more specific information you should contact your advisor.


What is the Grade Point Average (GPA) that I will need to transfer to a four-year college or university?

This varies significantly from school to school, but most four-year universities and colleges require a 2.5 cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA). Remember that different departments within a four-year college or university may require a higher cumulative GPA from the one used for general admission.


How do I know which Shoreline Community College courses will transfer to another university?

Up to date information on course equivalencies and program requirements are now best viewed online.  Fewer colleges and universities are providing us with paper transfer guides. Advising and Counseling does maintain selected transfer guides which by calling (206) 546-4559.


I'm a science major -- which two-year degree should I go for?

Probably the best degree for you will be the Associate in Science degree, which emphasizes the pre-requisite science and math courses required for a specific science major. Consult with a Science program advisor on this; which degree is best depends on your targeted major.


How much math will I need to transfer?

You need to complete at least 2 years of high-school algebra or the equivalent and complete at least one college level math class, or equivalent. To earn a Shoreline Community College transfer degree you will need to show Intermediate Algebra proficiency. For further details on how this proficiency can be met check the AA or AS distribution lists for complete details. Many majors will require substantially more mathematics in order to complete major requirements (see individual planning sheets).


I am planning to go to out of state- what degree should I choose?

Contact the institution or program that you plan to attend and work closely with the Admissions advisor. Students, who are undecided about which school they are going to attend, should initially follow any AA or AS planning sheets.  If a student knows which school or program they will apply to, they can use the Associate in Arts.  Please meet with your current advisor to ensure that you are following the appropriate educational plan.