Accuplacer: What to Expect
Once you schedule your Accuplacer test, you will receive a confirmation email from Shoreline's testing center with the day, time, and location of your test.
Planning for your test
- Study: Here are resources to help you prepare for Accuplacer math and English placement tests.
- Arrive early: Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes in advance of your test
- Remember: Bring your photo ID and your Shoreline Student ID number. If you do not have a Shoreline Student ID number, you can still take the Accuplacer test, but you might experience a delay in registration.
When you arrive
- Park in the Visitor's Lot
- Go to the Testing Center (5100 Foss Building, Lower Level) to get your free parking permit
- Return to your car to display your permit
- Go to the cashier's office (5200 Foss Building, Main Floor) to pay the $20 placement fee.
- Take your receipt to the testing center.
About the Accuplacer test
- The test is computerized and not timed, but the entire test (reading, writing and math), generally takes about 2 hours. You can take all or part of the test; just let the staff know what part you will be taking.
- You can test for placement in English (reading and writing) as well as math. New students will most likely need to complete the full test. If you do not need placement for both subjects, please Testing Center staff know which subject you need.
- Plan to take the entire Accuplacer test in one session.
- It is advisable to take all three parts at the same time, but you can take the test in segments if needed.
- We provide all testing materials (pencils and scratch paper). You may not use your own calculator.
- You will receive your test results immediately after the exam. Learn how to use your scores to register.
- You may not wear a watch, hat or hoodies while testing.
Retake exams cost $20. For English placement, you can take the test up to three times within any quarter. For math, the limit is two times per quarter. You cannot retake the exam on the same day as your first test. You can schedule your retake exam online.