Tips for Successful Scholarship Applications
• Apply for every scholarship for which you are eligible
Read all the scholarship requirements carefully, and make sure that you
If you are, apply.
• Complete the application in full and follow directions
Note if something is not applicable on the application. Do not leave items blank.
Do not supply items not requested (e.g., photos, award certificates etc.).
• Neatness counts
Proofread the entire application carefully for spelling and grammar errors.
Ask someone to proofread it as well.
• Make sure your essay leaves an impression
Be personal and passionate in your essays. Make your application stand
out from the crowd.
Give examples and be specific to what is being asked.
• Watch all deadlines
YOU are responsible for making sure your application arrives on time.
If supporting materials,
such as letters of recommendation and transcripts are needed, do not wait for the last minute
to secure these. Make sure everyone who is contributing to your application has ample lead-time.
If you have questions, ask. But do not expect anyone to do the work
Completing the application is your job.
• Take steps to make sure your application gets where it needs to go
Make a copy of the entire packet and keep it for your files. Make certain
that your name
appears on all pages.
• Remember, your scholarship application represents you!