Student Loan Exit Counseling
The U.S. Department of Education requires all student loan borrowers to complete Exit
Counseling, so they know their rights and responsibilities as a borrower. Completing Exit Counseling will not affect your ability to receive financial aid in the future.
Completing Exit Counseling is a requirement. A “hold” will be placed on your account that will prevent you from registering or obtaining an official transcript until Exit Counseling has been completed.
Students must complete the online Exit Counseling if they:
- Will no longer attend Shoreline due to graduation; or
- Will not or did not return for the next quarter (excluding summer); or
- Enrolled in 5 or fewer credits the previous or current quarter; or
Go to www.studentloans.gov to complete the Exit Counseling
- Use your FSA ID and password to login.
- Once you are logged in, select “Complete Counseling”
- Then choose “Start Exit Counseling”
- Complete the counseling, allowing about 20-30 minutes to finish.
Once you begin, you must complete the counseling as it will not allow you to save
After finishing, you should print the confirmation page for your records. The Financial
Aid office will also receive an electronic verification and holds will be removed
within 1-2 business days.
Additional information is available online about student loan repayment options and debt management can be found at saltmoney.org/shoreline.
If you have questions about completing Exit Counseling, please contact the Financial Aid office at firstname.lastname@example.org.